Sunday, July 17, 2011

A moose on the loose

A couple of weeks ago, Scott went to scout camp with the priests in the ward. So it was me and the boys for a few days. I was looking for something to do, and I found a hike that sounded like it was a great one for kids and short. So we drove up Big Cottonwood Canyon and found the trailhead. The boys were so excited, and then disappointed to see the high water had cut off the trail. I have to admit the high water was kind of scary- I had to have a big talk with Nathan and Daniel about staying away from the water.We said a prayer before we started, and they did a great job staying away from the water. Andrew was in the backpack most of the time and seemed to like that. Anyway, long story short, we hiked up to a cool bridge on another trail and sat on the bench to have a snack. Nathan tells me, "there is an animal crossing the stream."

And if you can tell, there is a MOOSE walking our way!! I was pretty nervous; I told the boys they needed to stay on the bench, hold still, and be quiet. I didn't know what I was going to do if it came our way. Me and 3 kids on the mountain seemed kind of dumb at this point!


But, she wondered down the trail and away from us. That made me happy. And we got some pictures, so that made it fun. When we told Grandpa about it, he asked Daniel if he saw a moose on the loose. Daniel told him, "No, we saw a moose on a hike." So there you have it.

We went to Copperton Park last night and Andrew loved it. He really loves swinging.

2 comments:

Katie Kennington said...

That is so cool! What lucky boys to have you to take them fun places. I love you Johnsons!!!

Michelle said...

You are brave! Very, very brave! The thought of taking just my two on a hike is really intimidating, let alone with a moose!!! Well done!